MASSACHUSETTS HOSPICE CARE FACT SHEET
- 59 member hospices provide care for terminally ill people in a range of settings including their own homes, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, acute care facilities, group homes, hospice residences and freestanding hospice general inpatient units.
- There are four free-standing hospice facilities located in Danvers, Worcester, Sandwich and Haverhill that provide general inpatient care, respite care and limited residential care.
- In 2010, Massachusetts hospices cared for approximately 21,598 patients (40% of all deaths in Massachusetts).
- The average length of stay for a hospice patient is 64 days.
- The median length of stay is 23 days.
- 37.5% of the patients hospice cared for had a length of stay of 7 or fewer days.
- 66% of patients had a non-cancer diagnosis (e.g., congestive heart failure, Alzheimer’s Disease, end stage pulmonary disease).
- 42 % of patients cared for died at home; 48% died in a skilled nursing facility.
- 11 hospice programs provided pediatric palliative care for more than 200 children with life-limiting illnesses and their families.
Source:Hospice Analytics, CMS Common Working File H&PCFM Membership Applications 2010